Since I’ve beat Diablo III Nightmare mode, I decided to come up for air and discuss a few grievances. Here is a list of my top 7 – serious, silly and otherwise.
7. Inconsistent Item Quality: Even in identical level items, many blues are better than yellows. Of course this is because itemization is almost 100% RNG, but there are so many worthless items. An “If Then” system would have made more sense: “If an item has a ton of Intellect, then it shouldn’t have strength.” And let’s not discuss the items that are just “Socketed Whatever,” and have no stats. If you’re far enough along in the game to have gems, these are more aptly called “Salvage Whatevers” because that’s all you’re going to do with them.
6. Horrible Storyline: Most people don’t play Diablo for the storyline, but Blizzard knows how to write a compelling story so this is inexcusable! The earlier games at least had fascinating tidbits about historical figures like Vlad the Impaler. Unfortunately, Diablo II’s story is terrible, and I pay no attention to its tidbits. As for the main plot, the foreshadowing is heavy-handed and the plot twists are completely predictable.
5. Diablo has Boobs: Sure, one of the 7 demons he’s comprised of is female. Sure, the vessel (Leah) containing him was female. But he didn’t keep a cute brunette bob, and he wasn’t gluttonously obese like Azmodan, so what gives? The official excuse is that it’s just bad angles of his armored plates, but still: Diablo shouldn’t have boobs.
4. Poor Inventory Control: Diablo has always involved a lot of spastic clicking and trying to fit as much crap as humanly possible into your inventory. The problem is that there’s no way to say, “Hey, stop picking up crap while I’m trying to stab the spider standing on top of it.” The result is that I’m constantly dropping worthless items.
3. Alting Sucks: I really wanted to play all the classes. But Normal difficulty gets old fast, and new characters can’t begin Nightmare mode until level 25. To complete Inferno difficulty, you have to play the same story four times per character! To complete all modes with all classes, that’s 20 repetitions of the same. crappy. plot. It’d be nice to start your 2nd character at level 25, or to have them gain double experience or something.
2. Lag, Rubberbanding, Error 37: It’s pretty disappointing when I can’t play a single player game because of server issues. There should be a “single player only character” that could not be played in a multiplayer game, since the big worry is that people will modify character data to be overpowered. Needless to say, this error:
1. Demons with nipple rings: The entire cut scene between Acts 2 and 3 was ruined for me, because of one thing: Azmodan’s nipple rings.
Cannot. Be. Unseen.
So, what are your gripes? I’m not saying I hate Diablo III as I have played it a lot, but I expected a lot more.